Access Visual Flashcards to Improve Students' Vocabulary
Vocabulary practice doesn't have to focus on memorizing definitions alone. Students retain vocab knowledge through visuals, too. InsideStoryFlashcards.com offers ready-to-go photo flashcards for free! They are available in four levels of difficulty:
- BASIC is appropriate for young children and ELL students learning to read.
- EASY provides vocabulary challenge for a broad range of grade levels.
- MEDIUM includes words appropriate for SAT preparation.
- HARD is leveled for GRE prep and beyond.
Within each category, you can select the words you want to print by checking the boxes. (TIP: Click on print preview to make sure you have the print ratio set to 100%.)
Looking for ways to incorporate these terms into your vocabulary instruction? Consider these...
- Project the site on a screen or interactive whiteboard and use the flashcards as the "Word of the Day." Then challenge students to use the word in an assignment and/or conversation.
- Have students work in pairs or small groups to see which team can create the most sentences using a single vocabulary word. Spice it up by offering the word-position challenge: The term must be the fourth word in each sentence.
- Print the flashcards and use them as creative writing prompts. Simply show the image and the word and challenge students to write.
- For more ideas on how to use InsideStoryFlashcards.com, visit Edutech for Teachers: Cool Tools for the 21st Century Classroom and/or iLearn Technology: An Edublog about integrating technology into the classroom.